Pitcairn Historical Society
Sharing the history of Pitcairn, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

News

Jan. 16th. Minutes

Posted by Carl on January 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Pitcairn Historical Society

Minutes of the Meeting

16January 2012

Attendance: Louis Chandler, Carl Howard and Betty, Kurt Seibel, Eric Wallhausen and Sharon, Harry Fails, and Reenie Whitehead.

Old Business:

1. The reading of the minutes from December. Minutes accepted as read.

2. The Christmas Party was a wonderful success. The cost was $133.74. Pitcairn Patter article, Wednesday January 12, 2012 mentioned the Museum.

3. The bulletin display on the wall at the Pitcairn Park Building was addressed. Ideas about what to display were discussed including a print out of the website. Kurt said a banner with the site address will be made and put on the wall. Theme of Baseball will be done to coincide with the season. Harry Fails and Kurt Seibel will take care of this February 4th.

4. Clean-up of the Museum:

a. Initial clean up of surplus equipment removal. Carl removed excess monitors. He discussed cassette tapes of sermons from McGinnis Presbyterian Church. There is an excess of material from McGinnis that is not of historical significance to the mission of PHS. Harry will ask if any former members are interested in the material. The balcony is clean.

Note: Louis stated that we do not have a balance of material on the other churches in town. Reenie said that she had an honor roll of military persons from United Church of Christ and other materials.

Reenie will contact someone about the Kodak cameras that are at the Museum. Harry suggested a website that seeks to locate Kodak cameras and material. Carl will look into this to dispose of the cameras.

Kurt will look into the sale of the church pew on Craig’s list. He will make sure it is listed to be picked up by the buyer ($50.00). Kurt will sell any cameras we have to list as well. Carl will bring a camera to take pictures to be used to list items.

b. The display for uniforms is completed.

c. Eric constructed a prototype for the shelves to be installed. Louis suggested that the lip be made higher to hold books and Eric said the final product will be made in oak.

d. Partitions to be set up as display areas: Louis stated that he was working in the museum and realized that we have many pictures to display but limited space. The question is how to resolve this issue. Louis said we have 4 foot partitions to put up. He also thought to take away the green kiosks to make more room in the middle. He had six walls in mind because of the themes that define the photos we have in file. The project will take time and much work. Creating arrays, organizing photos and using text to explain something related to the photos. Creating areas of concentration focus usable space evolving toward a museum.

Eric suggested that a test of uniform, neat panels would be set up to display items. Kurt said that we need a plan so that the group can see the how the space would be set up. He brought a plan view for our review.

Eric made a motion that the group make a prototype wall and Betty Lou seconded it to allow the group the see a test display. The group agreed unanimously. The group continued to talk about making the display moveable so that it can serve multipurpose display and presentation.

A working committee has been formed to develop some prototypes of the display areas; Louis Chandler, Kurt Seibel, Eric Wallhausen, and Carl Howard.

e. A meeting of the work committee has been set for January 23, 2012 at 9 AM at which time the railing in the administrative area will be moved.

f. Lighting: currently a professional consult on lighting is postponed until the display space has been finalized.

New Business:

1. Carl mentioned that we have multiple copies of the 50th Anniversary Books. He inquired if the group would be interested in selling copies beyond what would display and archive. The group agrees that two should be kept. Carl has the permission of the group to sell the additional book for $20.00.

2. Elections: Current Officers: Carl Howard; President, Eric Wallhausen; Vice President, Sharon Wallhausen; secretary, Reenie Whitehead; Treasurer.

New Officers: Betty Lou Howard is nominated for Treasurer and the President, Vice President, and Secretary remain the same. Kurt Seibel made a motion that the officers named be elected to another term and Eric seconded. Motion carried.

3. Carl suggested that he make contact with a bottle collector to request a donation for the bottles on display other than those that are Pitcairn relevant. The group is in agreement in the interest in preserving space for items that are pertinent to Pitcairn History.

4. Louis suggested that Bruce put a statement on the website about tours for groups or individuals and the group generally discussed being open Earth Day / Clean up day in accordance with the town clean up day.

The meeting adjourned 8:30 PM.

 

Categories: None

Post a Comment

Oops!

Oops, you forgot something.

Oops!

The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In

0 Comments

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Recent Blog Entries

by Carl | 1 comment
by Carl | 0 comments
by Carl | 0 comments
by Carl | 0 comments

Subscribe To Our Site

Send to a friend

Find us on Facebook

The Weather Channel