|Posted on January 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM|
January 3, 2011
Attendance: Carl Howard, Betty Lou Howard, Don Coulter, Louis Chandler, Kurt Seibel, Sharon and Eric Wallhausen, and new member Diane Newton.
Sharon reviewed November minutes with the group.
1. Minutes for December were read. Eric inquired about the members who joined the website. Several people have joined via the website. The group discussed theway to update the membership on activity. Louis commented that keeping the minutes available on the website is oneway to inform the membership. Sharon will email copies of the minutes to Carl Howard who will load them to the website to keep the membership informed. The minutes were approved as read.
2. Sharon Wallhausen requested that Betty Lou or Carl work with Sharon to compose a letter to Russell George and Carl Thompson requesting information about their businesses and how they got started. As well as a CD from Carl Thompson. Russell George provided to Rennine multiple CD’s that include the work of these two men. They have been made a gift to the PHS. The group plans to request from them the story of their connection toPitcairn.
3. Carl thanked Kurt Seibel for getting rid of some computer equipment. The printer is in disrepair. Kurt is trying to determine the feasibility of repairing the printer with the correct toner. He will continue removing equipment that is obsolete.
4. Kurt Seibel commented on the contact from Arcadia Publishing regarding making a book. He emailed her regarding the next step. Erin L. Vosgien wrote some suggestions regarding the process. Louis Chandler discussed his experience making a book himself for the Monroeville Historical Society. Louis presented a copy for the group’s review. He has been going through the PHS and has located several hundred pictures that he thinks would create an excellent book. The group discussed doing our own book which does not preclude working with Arcadia. This is a pictorial history book. Each picture has a brief description. Sharon suggested that the group think about the categories and contacting people who have knowledge of history in these categories and have preludes to the chapters written by these individuals. Don Coulter stated that Wilmerding, Gerry Homitz, has worked with Arcadia and could possibly give us some information on their experience. Sharon stated that one barrier is the momentum to complete such a project requires leadership. Louis Chandler would be willing to take a committee leadership on the book contacting members when things are needed to move it forward. Don raised the question of cost. PHS makes a small profit on the books when sold: Publishing copies as needed through a small company like Kinko as needed. Carl Howard motioned that the PHS, headed by Louis Chandler, will create a pictorial history book. Eric Wallhausen seconded the motion. Motion passed. Kurt will contact Arcadia to put this project on hold.
5. Discussion that June be designated as Pitcairn Historical Month in honor of the signing of the Charter. Kurt motioned that we make this official and Eric Wallhausen seconded. All in favor. Carl Howard will approach the Borough of Pitcairn about making an official declaration in the Borough as well at a future date. Pitcairn Historical Society will be open every Saturday in June. We will advertise with the Times Express at a later date.
6. Founder’s Day: Carl reported that the Borough has been approached regarding the use of the grounds around the Park Building. The borough stated that perhaps they would meet with the committee members to discuss the usage of the grounds. Insurance was also brought up. See article in the Times Express, December 23, 2010, pg. 2. On January 11, 2010, Pitcairn Council meets. PHS would like to request a timely response in order that the committee be able to proceed with plans for the event.
7. Eric stated that he has made some progress discussing lighting and stated some of the data he needs to make a lighting plan.
8. Soda that was purchased for our Fundraiser needs to be used by April, 2011. The group decided to make sure it is used or donated by the sell date.
9. Kurt discussed with the group his attempts to find someone who will scan the 1897-1900 bound newspapers we have in archives. Several responses to Kurt were received. Louis will follow up on this. He stated that preserving and being able to extract information from it should be priority goals.
10. Carl, Sharon and Bruce are administrators of the website. Any changes or additions can be made to the site by them.
11. Erma Watt requested that the PHS donate the podium for her church. No objection. Betty Lou will contact Erma that the podium is donated as requested.
12. Due to a water pipe breakage at the Wilmerding Castle, the Christmastree will remain up until we are contacted that we can enter the building. Carl will check on our displays. Also a donation is requested for restoration. Betty Lou motioned that the PHS make adonation of $50.00, Kurt Seibel seconded. Motion carried. Betty Lou will send a check to Wilmerding Renewed, Inc.